9.12.2007

I'm Insane

I just sent in a letter to the editor of the Daily Universe. Ha! I've always wanted to and my fury and emotions have been aroused sufficiently for me to take action. If you have been following the Daily Universe, this will make more sense, but here it is. I hope it gets published.

In light of the recent editorial on Sept. 12, Tragedy’s Lesson: Learning from Camille, I wish to bring the significance of another death to the attention of the Daily Universe and all the students at BYU. In the Sept. 10 issue of the Daily Universe, the story of Camille Cleverley’s death was featured on page 1, while David Anderson’s story was on page 12. Despite the page placement of both stories, the death of David Anderson is certainly just as tragic a loss as Camille Cleverley’s, and perhaps teaches a greater lesson: realizing the value of our actions towards others. As President Samuelson said on Tuesday, “Let us never forget our duties to each other…” Regardless of studies, sobriety and outdoor safety precautions, what we learn from David as well as from Camille, is you never know the effect of your socially outgoing efforts. As a resident of Wyview Park, I deeply regret not having met David. It seems to me the Lord will be more pleased with our kindness toward each other, than a 4.0, or BYU’s ranking in the Princeton Review. President Hinckley said: “It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships.” (“This Is the Work of the Master,” Ensign, May 1995, 71).

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

What a well written letter! Way to go Amy! I couldn't agree more! My heart breaks when I think about that poor boy! Oh how we must be aware of the people around us, and sense their needs! Looks like things are going great in "P" town! I'm sure your studying hard, but it looks socially rewarding as well!! love and miss you!

Laurie said...

Wow, Amy way to go!! What an incredible and insightful letter. I am going to use it if it is okay for my lesson I have to give in R.S. in a couple of weeks. It is on procrastinating....how often do we put off doing or saying the important things....great lesson for us all Amy!
Love ya,
Laurie