1.07.2008

college: semester 2: day 1





9 am: political science 110 - american politics + government
i think i'm going to adore this class. (wishing i could take poli sci 101 - current events, but won't work with my schedule!) my teacher was about 3 feet tall. not really, but he was really short. i found myself excited about the things i knew from american heritage (the class i loved so much i decided, for now, i want to be a teaching assistant for it, which inspired my taking this class.), but still wishing i could spout factual information more readily. i could answer, without thinking, exactly where in the constitution displays a structure to balance between tyranny + anarchy, law + freedom, virtue + self-interest. then i thought, do i need a phd for that?

10 am: communications 211 - news writing
a pre-requisite for my major. appears it will be much easier than i thought. except for one haunting word: the benchmark. this is the article that must be written in a finite amount of time that your professor and lab assistant give a score, which determines your fate. not really, just whether you get into the major or not. i'm excited.

in reexamining my life though, this is a class epitomic of the epiphanic time when i realized journalism was a profession. never before had it occurred to me. i didn't so much as dream as i did fathom what it would be like to learn how to write the news. i treasure these fantastical specifics that are now real. definitely better extramentally.

12 pm: religion 122 - book of mormon 2
my book of mormon 1 class had about 20 people in it. this one has about 200. how paltry i feel. contains some good friends worth getting to know better, about half my ward, and a girl i spent a great deal of time with in the american heritage review room who is both hilarious + kind, and told an unsettling story in class today about getting chased up the great wall by a china woman with a cane.

summary: college round 2. am having the usual and all-too-familiar homesickness after time with family. who all keep reminding me i didn't want to go home to begin with. a friend e-mailed me today. she said it perfectly:

it is just a weird time of life, and you tend to feel a lot of pressure to make something useful of yourself, and pick a career you will love, and you have this funny sense of not knowing how your life is going to eventuate and just waiting for it to do something

lately i am feeling more like a late bloomer than ever. i feel like i've just entered 7th grade and trying to figure out--pardon the phrase---who i am. i guess i'm saying that i'm not quite as confident as i was in round 1. which is just fine with me. for now. what i'm not fine with is a loss of fascination + enthusiasm. perhaps i shall recover from my numbness to the college scene after the sting of being home wears off.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

amy dear...How fun it was to get to see you for such a short time over the holidays! It was not near enough! I ditto Meg's comments after being with you "I forget how much I MISS her"...Sounds like you have a "myriad" of new and exciting courses to keep you occupied and enthrawled!(sp) Best of luck! The wedding was so beautiful, you all must feel pleased and thrilled! love you amy!

Charlene said...

Amy... I"m glad you're back in P-town! I want/need to come say hi AND what about next fall semester? Should we plan?