3.02.2008

weekend + march.


the interview went really well. don't get your hopes up for the job, they're not likely to hand over the position to an underclassman. but we'll see. thanks for your kind words and positive thoughts.  couldn't have done it without interviewing expert + sister emily.  one down, two to go.

home was super good. i always take it for granted the 2nd week in a row, but know what i am grateful for on sunday evening in my [dreary] little apartment. i did some quilting (above) and watched this probably 6 times. still doesn't get old.

these recurring monday-morning blues have caused me to think of this talk given by sister samuelson,

"I always seemed to have the 'thank goodness it's Friday' mentality. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I was always looking forward to the weekends; thus I was not really enjoying the weekdays. I was happy on Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sundays and a little depressed on the weekdays.

...By wanting the weekdays to pass by quickly and always looking forward to the weekends, I was wishing a very important part of my life away. I realized that my time now was valuable and I should appreciate it every day--not wish it away! After all, I didn't know how many Mondays through Fridays I had in my future...I was always wanting tomorrow or, in my case, the weekend. This was a terrible thing because I was neglecting my todays for my tomorrows."


Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin: "One thing I know for certain: the time we have here goes by far too quickly. Don't waste any more time sitting on the bench watching life pass you by."

Ralph Waldo Emerson: "[The days of your lives] are of the least pretension and of the greatest capacity of anything that exists. They come and go like muffled and veiled figures, sent from a distant friendly party; but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts they bring, they carry them as silently away."

goal: make march matter. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello :)
just wanted to say thanks for this post. i've been having rather similar thoughts (and monday-morning-blues) and have also had this feeling of wanting to "make march matter"
this was encouraging; just what i needed on a dreary monday morning

Amanda and Shaye Scott said...

Amy,
Just for the record, it's the hardest thing in the WORLD to get a job on BYU campus. (I'm sure you've figured this out by now.) When I was there as a freshman, I seriously interviewed for 20 jobs, and was only hired for two... an early morning janitor, and a cashier at "Sugar and Spice" haha! Don't feel bad hon, it's a jungle out there. I hope that you are enjoying the rest of your Y experience!