6.04.2008

adulthood 101.

i guess for me, spring semester is all about adult.  i have a job. and school. and true, my parents still claim me, but there are no siblings within earshot to hear me cry wolf. the thing about being a kid is that whatever you do, someone is behind you.  if you're on stage, someone is in the audience applauding. if you are bummed, someone is there to cheer you up.  if you forget your lunch, your mom can bring it to you.  if you spill, you don't really have to clean it up--someone is watching you. and they will clean it up for you. 

the moment i realized if i don't do it, no one will was in the wells fargo parking garage behind my work.  i was unlocking the passenger door to my car.  at my job, if i don't do it, no one else will. i guess it hit me because in a restaurant (where i work), people want to be children again.  they want to be fed, served, waited on, and cleaned up after. so they put up the money and it happens. 

it brings new meaning to what i thought it meant to be an adult. to the word independent

i told my boss today that i wouldn't be here come 2 weeks.  i am sad to be leaving a great place of employment. but boy am i excited to go home. 

1 comment:

Abby said...

kind of a sad/hard realization eh? You still got it though... once you get married you are 100 % adult. Take advantage while you still can :) Glad to see you back for a bit