8.05.2008

homemade fig jam.

my mom taught me to make jam this week. I was so grateful to learn the art, as I've watched my mom do it seasonally all my life. preserving more than peaches, I always think wordlessly. like shelling peas. here is our variation on fig jam.

you must be certain your jars are very clean.  this recipe calls for about four 16-oz jars, or a variation of 16-oz and 8-oz ones.  we had a little more than that.  but to you must wash them out thoroughly just before you make the jam, and leave them filled with warm water, to ensure their cleanliness.  do the same with the lids. 
3 and 1/2 pounds figs. you can pick them off our tree if you'd like.  (I promise, fig jam is delicious.  I don't like figs because of the texture, but they make excellent jam)  different fruits call for different amounts. also, if you want to use more figs, you can't double a jam recipe.  you just have to make multiple batches. 
you can either cut them up and hand-mash them, for a chunky jam, or
grind them with your grandmother's grinder (that you can still buy at the kitchen store).  we made 2 batches---one with large chunks for people like my dad, and one with ground figs--very smooth, for people like me. 
put those in a pot on high, mixing in the gelatin jam mix you can buy at the grocery store. (the gelatin mix also comes with this same recipe). stir constantly until the fruit comes to a boil. 
after it boils, add 6 and 1/2 cups of sugar (you always want to measure your sugar ahead of time, because of the fast sequence of events.  it is easy to measure it all out in a bowl).  stir constantly until the batch comes to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.  let boil and stir for 1 minute.  
then, turn heat off and scoop the jam into your jars through a jar-funnel.  you will want to skim off the layer of foam that rests on the top of your jam batch.  then, empty your jars of water one at a time, being certain there is no jam around the edges to insure its preservation.  set and screw on lid securely.  you should listen for a popping of the lid, when the lid cannot be pressed down like a snapple top. 
set in boiling water (with jar tongs) in a special canning pot.  the water should cover the jars at least 1/2 inch above their lids. 
voila. 

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow, I'm impressed....way to go Carolyn in teaching Amy the fine art of jam making!!! Dang, I wish I was that good...:(...my mother actually has a fig tree as well, I just tasted one yesterday...I should pick them and make jam :) Thanks for the nudge....

Tavish and Amie Calico said...

you're awesome! I love looking at your blog. I miss you and I am still mad at you for not saying hi to me at chelsi's run. But I still love you Amy Lu!
Love,
Amie O.

Anonymous said...

Well this is a good way to save money! I'm alays trying to shave expenses so this is awesome! Well I know that you can get free ringtones from The Hotel Cafe there's six to choose from including Sara bareilles Lovesong. Enjoy!