11.13.2008

here's to change.

my roommate Lene is so great. I haven't told you much about my roommates have I? well, for one, Lene (pronounced Lana) is from Norway. and she is teaching me Norwegian. I love it. 3 years of Spanish and I got nada. well, un poco. but Norweigan is good to me. Lene has been having what I would call a hard time focusing on school. this morning, she told me about her 8:00 am class every day next semester. I thought wow. and then, rudely slash jokingly, I said "you're never gonna go." how faithless of me. I believe in her to the core, but I'm sorry I said such a thing. of course we are so close and she is so great that she replied, "what? you don't have faith in me? I am going to change!" she said.

she is going to change and I believe it. chatting online with her mum in Norwegia (as we like to call it), her mom urged her to focus more on her schoolwork. she said, mom I know. she showed me her last thought "obama + me = change :) " I loved that. it reminded me of marta's obama fiasco--I am grateful for her insightful thoughts on change. I'm all for change. all for it. I want to change more than anything.

it seems like everyone is getting married. I don't know why, when I think about it, I can't count a significant-enough-number of people that I know--but it just seems like marriage is in the air. everyone is gettin' hitched.

I'm not. I don't know what I'm doing. sometimes at the end of the day I have to ask where did today go? part of my ongoing change is changing my priorities. where I spend my time reflects what is important to me. first: Jesus Christ. second: the people I love. third: the people I want to love. fourth: community. fifth: school. if only my time reflected so.



I can't decide what to do. I love my job. being a TA in American Heritage is so rewarding. I love teaching, I love the material, and I love the community of my students, fellow TA's, program directors, and professors. the whole thing means the world to me--and it has definitely received a large bulk of my time this semester. I love it.

I want to feel about my major the way I feel about my job. I currently have 2 majors: Print-Journalism and American Studies. hopefully, by the end of this whole college thing, I will have the skills to communicate well, and still have something worth saying. background is key.

so here's to change and all that it has in store for me: new major, new responsibility, new budget (saving up for abroad!), new financial shout-out (thanks to BYU Scholarships having what they called an 'unanticipated budget surplus'), new relationships, new classes next semester, new president 2009, new priorities, new time-expenditure, and a new me.

4 comments:

Tav and Aims said...

you're on my list of people I want to love. haha jk. :)

Tav and Aims said...

but really amy you are a little miss smarty pants and I wish I could have some of it. And you're right.. Everyone is getting married. It almost made me not want to get married when I was getting married. ehh. life's weird. You just don't want to do what everyone's doing.. But obviously it is the best decision I've ever made! :) Have fun with your busy busy life in Provo. And someday come see me in STG.

marta said...

amen. i love your words. they make me so happy. don't worry about the marrieds. they are blooming in provo constantly. just live this season of life to the fullest. it'll go by so soon. change seems to happen so fast. especially when you have a two month old. oh my goodness.

but seriously it seems like yesterday that d and i were living in provo seven years ago.. living the dream. oh so cheap. olive garden was our big night out. wow.

live it up and enjoy the changes. you are inspiring.

kate + parker said...

i'd love to see the new you sometime. Did i tell you? we are moving to provo finally. you can move into our second bedroom if you want;) love ya sis