1.22.2009

the oath.

I really loved that the whole oath of office was so...human. something that would happen in a work meeting or sunday school class that would be normal and embarrassing and people would laugh at it.  it was so imperfect even though it was a most significant moment in both their lives, not to mention every American's life.  George Washington, the American demigod, took the same exact oath.  that's why the oath of office is SO dang cool. it's historical and relevant and huge! so I love that these two men--two of my favorite men--who happen to have very fundamental disagreements with each other, and happen to be the two most important people in America, not to mention the smartest, messed the oath up.  do you think they could have practiced beforehand? obviously, I can't really articulate why I love it so much--but I do. I love that President Obama and Chief Justice Roberts stumbled slightly over the oath of office in front of the whole world. and I love that they're doing it over again. 

1 comment:

Karamea said...

i definitely agree. it makes it all seem real and honest. but everyone loves re-dos. re-dos make things even more honest.