1.29.2009

on wanting to go to india.

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to go to India. since I could remember. I think I really liked one issue of the National Geographic about India. or maybe it was Newsweek. But my desires were really perpetuated when my cousin Caitlin went. I started asking around and found out that it wasn't that hard to go with BYU. my desires were no more than a lingering interest. I went to information meetings and such--but I never really planned on it until I applied to do a field study.

a lot of things happened with the field study--but the final was that they were postponing the field study to India and starting a study abroad. and a study abroad is the last thing I want to do in India. a friend introduced me to Shanti Bhavan. you can read about it more there, but in short, it is a children's school for children considered 'untouchable' in the India caste system. they wouldn't recieve an education otherwise. Melissa and I are in the process of applying. so...we'll see how it goes. the friend who generously introduced SB to me is there now, Molly. read of her experiences. also, Genevieve returned from SB a month ago.

I am taking a course called Survey of World Religions. it is such a great class taught by one of my favorite-ever professors. on Monday we discussed Hinduism. I just felt such a reassuring excitement and peace that this is what I want. India.

nothing is for sure. like I said, I'm still in the middle of the application process. but for now, my mind is on it. and I'm really, really excited. if it all goes through, I can't wait to turn the old try international.

3 comments:

lori said...

Wow! Exciting! One of my old RAs spent several semesters in India doing various things and she loved it. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough. Good for you.
(Do you have Roger Keller for W.Relig?)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited for you. India is so...you. I hope you go and remember that I'm behind you all the way!!!

Anonymous said...

d adam is a bitch and a hearthrob.