2.16.2009

happy president's day.

Lincoln: my favorite founder. the above photo comparison is one of my favorite moments in my academic career. on the left: Lincoln just before he took office. on the right: just 4 years later--he looks like he's aged 30 years. the last known photo before he was assassinated.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
- Lincoln's 2nd inaugural

“[Lincoln was] a Christ in miniature, bigger than his country—bigger than all the Presidents together. Why? Because he loved his enemies as himself.”
--Leo Tolstoy, 1909

2 comments:

Spencer said...

your blog's cool amy. that is all.

Anonymous said...

For me, it was nice to have President's Day, but still there was classes held. I wonder why my University decided not to observe such days to relieve students...