2.23.2009

weekend: sunny st. george

8 a.m. in St. George is sunny. I thought I'd slept in 'til noon.
I bought the most gorgeous tulips with my pops and mommers (they were buying fruit trees for our new yard). I forgot them. they are where they belong--though they would be cheering me up on this rainy day.

also, Jamie, a great mentor and wise friend commented on this post. he is one of the most 'smart-about-life' people I know. I thought I would share:

"it's inherent in human nature that we want to be right, because at some fundamental level, having unconsciously equated our argument and our self-identity, we want to be right about who we are. need to be. imagine if our self-concept is threatened or, worse, dissolved? frightening prospect. so debates are sometimes more about self-survival, and feeling that threat we are able to justify stormier responses.

in private, i think it more quickly becomes associated with the self, and the need to defend that is as primal as it gets.

of course, i think we're wrong about our self-identity. how could our true identity be something so easily threatened? so it's a mis-identity (which means we're the ones who are self-degrading before anyone else gets around to it) that we then mistakenly defend, and when this mis-identity is seen for what it is -- nothing! wrong! -- and can be released, we can debate without acrimony, because our identity is not as stake.

ultimately, i think we are wrong about who we are, and a part of us knows this and feels very insecure about it, thus the reason everyone has such a strong need to be right. it just happens to come out in debates, but it's about, and coming from, something much deeper."

No comments: