8.28.2009

thanuja.

I was just sitting there after dinner, as I usually did. I made all the children, 5th grade and below, say goodnight to me before they headed off to the dorm. one such night the 1st and 2nd graders were incessantly showing me their "shaking" teeth. (shaking = loose; broken = lost e.g. "my tooth is broken!" rather than "I lost my tooth!") Thanuja, 2nd grade, showed me her front tooth was shaking a lot and I teased her, asking if I could pull it out. she didn't say anything, she just nodded her head a little (of course it was the Indian head-bob indicating a yes). so I shook her tooth a bit, thinking it might get it a little more loose and she could pull it out tomorrow. but then, I thought it might come. I twisted it a little and my stomach dropped--but sweet Thanuja just stood there. I couldn't believe it. I decided to go for it--asking her all the while if I could. again, she just stood there. I pulled it out and this is what I saw the next day. isn't she so cute and brave?

No comments: