1.09.2008

day 3.

today, i would have taken pictures of:
  • me in my bunched-puffed-burnt orange parka from campworld. am i really the most lucky princess to get my dad's camping coat in place of the one i lack. 
  • crowds of people in swollen coats and mittens, huddled under umbrellas, walking on icy pathways. the snowstorm arrived as i woke up, fulfilling the prophecy of last night's warm temperature. 
  • the bench seat of a white, chrysler mini-van whose driver offered me a ride amid the blizzard. just like the one i wept for when my parents sold it. 
  • statue of a family with snow-caps on top. literally. they had big tall hats of snow on their heads. i stopped and laughed out loud, trying to decide if it was the prank of a student, or just the comical stylings of mother nature herself. 

same classes as day 1 today. except:


2 pm: dance 130 - dance aerobics
now, i have to take a bunch of p.e. credits to graduate. if you know me in person, you know i'm the most athletic person you and i both know. if you don't know me in person, i must supplement here that the previous sentence was sarcastic. simply put, i was reluctant to do anything involving physical activity. i was scared to death (again with my recurring middle school, insecurity nightmares). but it was so fun. the instructor is new zealand-ese and reminds me a lot of these guys. he highly encourages water bottles, partnering up, grunts, yeah!'s, woo's, and the like.

4 pm: communications 101 - the media of mass communications
loved this class. it's going to be way less boring than i thought. hooray. aside from some annoying assignments, i'm excited for this class.

my other classes were great too. so excited to be learning: the 5 big questions for government. the declaration of independence. the constitution. the contradictions of the 2. what journalists do. what journalists care about. what to be careful for. types of communication. models of communication. + much more.

reading this tonight, kindles the same {question} in me. i am compelled + required + encouraged + even excited to remember what i'm learning, that i'm afraid i won't remember anything else. most of what i observe, i remember in my head, and privately smile to satisfy my own self aggrandizement. but what will i remember. will it be important? my thoughts + her words have brought me to this conclusion: my memory is my most valuable possession.

what i will remember from today: snow snow snow. tragedy. fiery chicken + wild rice soup outside. wearing dad's orange coat with no shame + no cold. intruding roommate's boyfriends. you.

2 comments:

lori said...

love your writing.
feeling a week-long haze of saddness about that tragedy, too.

Emily said...

Am - I think it's glorious that you're sporting Dads burnt orange (purchased in the early 70's) Camp World Parka. It suits you well. How sad that your camera has not surfaced... however, your text-version of blog pics is quite adorable. I've been deathly ill (just a bad cold) so I haven't been in to see about the boot exchange - but I will soon. Love you to pieces.
-Em