7.18.2008

all cleaned up.

consuming me for the past 2 or 3 weeks has been my bedroom. when i returned home my closet was still full of baby toys and clothes, important memorabilia. but time to de-clutter. it was debate-worthy whether i should keep the authenticity of the bedroom of my childhood and adolescence. the paraphernalia on these walls has been gathering since sister katie moved out of this room 11 years ago.

before. 

these walls look so jumbled.  and they are. just a hodgepodge of high school/girls camp/efy/middle school/some college/childhood/christmas/vacation junk.   but not junk at all to me.  I hoard everything and I'm proud of it.  I would never throw any of this stuff away.  I did make the executive decision that their life needed to be suspended for a while, spending time in the basement.  but I vow my kids will never see the end of this stuff.  it's my legacy. 
I also hoard photos and people. I love them. but they had to go. 

after.


my mother has some of these prayer flags. they are stunningly beautiful and it ended up being one of those things you just have in your head, and then...create. I was extremely pleased with how they turned out, only adding to the whiteness.
trying to remember where I first came up with the crazy idea to go all white, I came across this lovely photo and remembered. lucky me, Alyson was my partner for a photo swap about 4 months ago. when I received the photo in the mail, I was still in the mindset of home, and eagerly designed my crispy and clean space.

I was originally looking forward to a frame/photo montage with photos of my grandparents in their youth. there are so many beautiful ones of each of them. but I came across this and had to go with it. I still want to hang the photos, I'm just not sure how. I was also originally planning to put them on the 4th wall. right in the center where nothing is. but I just can't put anything on my blank wall. I love its whiteness. the more there is on the walls, the less white it becomes.

5 comments:

Abby said...

hello model in that last picture.... you look so cute! and I love your cute frames... you're one of a kind amy

Anonymous said...

it's goooorgeous! the prayer flags (which I just learned about, thanks to you) are a perfect and lovely touch. want to come decorate my new home in a few weeks? :)

kate + parker said...

so pretty. i love white. it looks like a room you can stay cool in, even in a st. george summer. will you please decorate my house someday? i wish i had that talent. don't forget to call your big sis sometime!

Laurie said...

Great job Amy !!! You are so clever!! I love re-decorating bedrooms...one of my fondest memories of childhood was "decorating" my little bedroom....of course my mother really did it, because I was only 6ish but I remember the cute little white and lavendar bed spread, and the warmth of the little lamp by the bed...since then I have always loved lamps!!! Love your re-do!! And ditto to Abby's comment...you do look like a model!
love you Amy...come and visit!

Anonymous said...

i love it. and you.
sincerely, david archuletta