7.03.2008

happy independence day.

aside from making these cupcakes, i have little plans for the 4th.  i'm remembering last year, i did very little, just as i always do.  i have almost ambiguous feelings about the 4th of july.  i've had some bad experiences on the holiday and i always want it to be so good. and it never really is.  but i love america.  so i guess that's all that matters.

but nothing means summer more to me than reading to kill a mockingbird, by harper lee.  megan and i read it nearly every summer since 9th grade.  still using the water-damaged, highlighted and written-in, $5 from the school bookstore that we used in mr. goodrich's freshman english class.  though i haven't thought about it too much, i always answer with this book when asked what my favorite book is.  i am also surprised how many people haven't read it! i am the first child in my family to read it. jon and kate have read it since but. it's a classic. seriously. you have to read it. have to. and i'm not the only one who thinks so. 

when i was about 12, before i read the book, my dad got an inkling to watch the movie on the 4th of july.  and i think we'll do that this year. maybe even invite people.  

2 comments:

megan said...

oh my. i just made my mom go get my book back from a friend she let borrow it today. what a coincidence. so similar.

Amanda Cheyenne said...

so, i don't know you but i stumbled across your blog a little while back and it has been a huge inspiration for me.
you seem like a lovely person and i was even inspired by you to start my own blog.
thanks for everything. :)