8.27.2008

friends.



when I was 3, I was friends with Jessica P.  she lived at the top of the hill of which I live at the bottom.  she lived with her grandparents, La Fawn and Forrest.  I remember La Fawn would send us next door every day to get a sucker to have a smoke. they also always had Nestle Drumsticks in their freezer at all times.  Forrest fixed up old cars and he took us to DQ one time in his old convertible.  needless to say, my hair was full of ice cream by the time we got home.  but something I have less memories doing, but a constant reminder, is selling rocks.  this is mine and Jessica's rock store.  we would find rocks and break them in half. and then sell them.  I don't remember if we ever made any money. La Fawn died when we were 4 and Jessica had to move away.  Forrest kept the rock store open the whole time.  He died a couple of years ago, and now Mr. Hagler lives there.  imagine me, now 19, driving passed the rock store I managed 15 years ago every day. Mr. Hagler keeps them there.  I like to think it was in the real estate contract or something. 

after Jessica, I joined my JoySchool buddies. one of which is Cami. we were friends as pre-schoolers and remained that way all through high school and I still consider her the dearest of friends. they were pretty much the only friends I remember until 3rd grade. 

in 3rd grade, I was in with the in crowd.  I made friends with Cassidy--8 going on 18. she was so cool. we were best friends until 6th grade.  her parents were both hair-stylists and we had fun doing our nails and going roller-skating at Outer Limits.  but she also catered to my imagination by playing pretend with me.  most of my friends were tiny (invisible) elves and small (25-cent) plastic  aliens. she pretended they were real with me, and I pretended we were 18 with her. we went to different middle schools after 6th. we hugged and tried to assemble some heartfelt tears on the last day of school. last time I saw Cass was at Old Navy. she had just gotten engaged.  from what I hear, she is happily married. 

in 6th grade, I met Millie (Amelia) and got to know Carly. the 3 of us were best friends.  I don't know what or how it happened.  it was just instant.  6th grade was kind of like my freshman year of college--scraping so eagerly to find any friends in this new experience. the 3 of us attempted forming an intramural team (I was a lost cause) and were managers of the school store together. I remember going to Millie's house and eating twinkies. I think 6th grade was the first time I ever thought something was funny. Carly is hilarious and she made me laugh so hard. she is still one of my very best friends today and I used to see Millie at football games where our rival high schools would face off.

middle school as a whole different story.  the first day of 7th grade was my 12th birthday and I think one person all day knew it. otherwise, Whitney was my first new friend in middle school. she was so great.  we had shop together, with lunch right before.  we went to lunch together at K Mart or Arby's or Albertsons. after which we would be late for shop and Mr. Abraham would lecture us with a smile under his breath. we laughed together, both wanted to try out for cheer, and had a crush on the same 8th grade boys.  I love Whitney to death still.  she is hilarious and an example of faith and courage to me. 

then I met Karly and her posse.  she was easily the most popular girl in school--with all the boys chasing at her heels.  she was so nice though.  and welcomed me in effortlessly. I was so grateful to be part of the group.  Karly, Natalie, and her friends all had plans to try out for drill team, so I quickly adapted.  I still feel bad for leaving Whit that way. Karly introduced me to so many things--but primarily, boys.  we laughed hard together, she taught me about makeup, and called boys to their mothers' discomfort. Karly is still a dear friend of mine. But she introduced me to Megan the summer before 8th grade. 

I've been thinking about me and Meg. nearly inseparable since 9th grade, we used to spend hours together, just as I did with my past friends.  I remember after our friendship set in, we were both so grateful to have someone we could each 'share the same brain wave' with. looking back now, I think we both recognized our similarities and compatibilities and embraced them.  but we are very different people, and so now, our friendship sort of baffles me.  I told Meg recently, our friendship is so easy and automatic now, that I think it will be more difficult--harder to maintain.  we can take for granted our similar brain frequency, and explore the different stations we each carry. our friendship started out like any other 13-year-old girls' friendship would. but it has lasted in more ways than just time. and at this point in each of our lives, it must endure the transformation from teens to adults, from girls to--dare I say--women. 

the 2 of us have had "gift wars" during our friendship.  scrapbooks intricately adorned with meaningful memories and hand-embroidered quilts whose threads will surely come undone in a few short years. this year, though, Megan gave me something unparalleled and unbeatable. for sake of the war, she has won and I gladly and gratefully surrender. it is something that I will have forever in material alone. but it is something that embodies more than its valuable elemental component.  as I think about it, Megan has always shared things with me that normal people would normally choose to hold sacred to themselves. things you don't have to share.  it's totally normal, acceptable, favorable, and even good, to keep for yourself.  you don't have to share it like you do everything else.  her friends. I still feel so lucky to be considered part of a gang that has roots planted long before I arrived.  her family.  I have said before, they welcome me as their own and as my own would.  it's not normal.  and now this birthday gift. I just can't say how much it means to me. to not only have such a good friend in and of herself. but for her to share the way she does is something only sisters do. thanks. 

6 comments:

Abby said...

so what did she give you?

erica said...

ame, you ARE a sister to us! we love you so much! such a cute post.

Phoebe said...

loved the post, love friends! So thankful for you! love you dearly!

Anonymous said...

i love you amy dear.

Kelvin Oliver said...

The topics will be posted on my blog. You can check there and you may also get an e-mail. Thanks for joining in this project. Cool blog. I really like it.

Anonymous said...

ok I sound so boy crazy... but I TOTALLY was! You put everything so perfectly. And yes you and Meg are adorable.