8.25.2008

next.



now that I've returned from a wonderful family vacation, it is time to get down to business and ask myself, what's next? 

in the week behind me, I've turned 19. and in the week ahead of me, I will embark on my 2nd year of college at BYU.  standing at the intersection between these weeks, I find myself confused.  waiting for some sort of revelation on who I'm s'posed to be: young or old? single or looking? studious or fun? under wing or taken flight? what classes should I take? what should I major in? 

in being completely and uninterestingly honest, I've been thinking about psychology.  I really like psycho-analyzing people's behavior--though I know nothing of the science. I like it a lot and I only wish I could settle on it. but something far inside me that seems to know the future tells me it is not supposed to be my ultimate path.  oh how I wish it was. 

nevertheless, I am supposed to be in the middle of applying for my major. the major I have chosen. and I am so unenthusiastic about it.  I'm bored with it and I haven't even started it. 

otherwise, my preparations for my fall job have me thinking, what about american studies? 

settled on nothing, my mind goes blank. even now, not anything there. 

tear-filled thoughts are calmed, though, by the repeated whisper of one day at a time. there is little else any of us can do but today's tasks. today's musings and thoughts and reminiscing are pacified by little else than the words just today. 

all I need to know now is what I'm supposed to do next. 
thank you so much for your kind birthday wishes. it was a delightful one filled with cherished friends and family.  one filled with my dearest friends carly and megan. where glenn got great news. and karly returned home from abroad. thanks everyone. 

4 comments:

anna said...

yeah i know amy it was scary and it will probably make you even more scared but it was with ben challis! yeah i know dont freak out! ha. well i am just going to SUU. it was my first day and i had fun? well what can i do, nothing just go to school and hopefully meet some cute boys! ha

Abby said...

good luck amy! that last picture is awesome!

Anonymous said...

sooo
when I applied to college I was going to be a psych major. when I started college I was a business major. 1 semester in I realized I could never ever complete a 4 year program in business. So I switched to an english major with minors in psych and comm. I graduated with an English degree and a minor in Psych. And felt that that was exactly right for me.
You'll figure it out; just listen to yourself and don't try to force yourself into fitting a mold you think is right.

Phoebe said...

I love the family shirts!! what a fun vacation, Kate and Parker must be sad they missed that!! Love your family!