5.04.2010

eastern market.

eastern market. camera = unreliable.

kailey + me.

our new DC friend, Katie, came with us to the Eastern Market, which is essentially a giant farmers market/flea market. I think I loved it the most. I love being outside with all those artists and farmers and crafters. the flea market had a few stands that I just loved including vintage linens and old maps. I really want something from both of them.

Katie and Kailey became friends with this little puppy on the right. his owner was the brother of this Indian man, Nandu. as I was talking with him I found out he was from Chennai and his wife was from Bangalore--which is about as close as it gets to where I was living in India last summer. it was so great to talk with him.

it seems almost every moment I find myself drawing parallels between India and DC. I'm not sure if it's just the traveling part, the being away from home, the city-life, or what. but I miss India more than ever and am talking about it constantly. I'm so sorry for all my Barlow Center comrades who have to hear me blab about it. Molly is going back for graduation! I'm eternally jealous. I am hoping to make it back to India soon.

Nandu was so kind and humble and talking with him put me in a funny mood--although he's been living in California for 25 years, he is still so Indian. I mean, he was Americanized in many ways, and I was only with him for maybe five minutes. but his essence was humble and warm and just looking in his eyes reminded me of how much I love Indians. he reminded me of the times I would look into the eyes of the children and feel so clearly the love of God. I was reminded last week of the line from Les Mis, "to love another person is to see the face of God." that's how I feel when I look into the eyes of Indians.

after the Eastern Market, we ate at Potbelly, a greasy-sandwich place, but apparently a DC must. it was delicious, and so greasy. after eating we did a little shopping and then went to the National Portrait Gallery and Gallery of American Art.

the museum was so amazing. I loved it. Kailey and I, both American Studies majors, just about died at the paintings and people we are so familiar with. we both regretted that we didn't remember more of it. I remember always wanting to see these paintings in person, and I just started a summer of it. some of the highlights were John Winthrop, Charles Wilson Peale, Benjamin West, John Singleton Copley, John Marshall (such a cute little guy!), Gilbert Stuart, Edgar Allen Poe, Washington Irving, George Catlin, Robert E. Lee, Joseph Smith & Brigham Young, Winslow Homer, Clover Adams, Betty Friedan, A. Phillip Randolph, Mary Church Terrell, too many to list!

I loved it. I saw Abbot Thayer's original "Angel" painting and giant print photos of Lincoln. it was breathtaking. I love it.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Oh amy! You are having such great adventures! I would have loved this all. Especially the flea market. I miss going to farmer's market with you every weekend. Love you, girl!

Dorm Bedding said...

Eastern Market looks like so much fun!