10.09.2008

rush limbaugh

if I could, I would paint you a picture of the maintenance man in my apartment complex. an older man, every day I find him working on the 70's building that, in order to live in, I had to sign a lead-paint-waiver. his most recent project has been hand-painting the railings. yesterday, a faded brown. today, brown. not a spectacular improvement, but how remarkable it is to watch this chalk-haired man whose belly hangs slightly over a tightened belt, stroke the color onto the posts with a brush small enough to paint a picture.

in the afternoons outside my door, he stands on a ladder and listens to Rush Limbaugh. next to his finished pole, a small orange cone is placed with a piece of paper taped to it. "wet paint" it reads in legible handwriting.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love portraits with words...I can totally imagine him. You are such a talented writer, Amy.

Karly Barker said...

hey amy I got a new blog. karlyastaples.blogspot.com

Carly said...

i need to see you sometime... like maybe in this life time!!!! miss you!